While working on the mechanics for my project, I realized that since the game all takes place in an office building that I should go through my immense collection of graphic packs and see if any work fit. And I found one! The DS+ pack has a lot of tiles that are perfect for a modern office, and it's in a nice pixel style too. There is a problem though...
The pack is for Ace, not MV. While I could use a plugin to have the tiles all work well, I didn't want the maps to all feel really small due to the different between tile size and resolution, so I've decided to resize the tiles to work.
Unfortunately Ace tiles can't just be doubled to work in MV. Since I'm sure there are other people who'd like to know a way to do it, here's my method!
Resizing Ace (32x32 pixels) tiles to fit MV (48x48 pixels)
First things to do is resize the tile by 150%, with Nearest Neighbor turned on. That will keep things from blurring, though it does mean we have uneven spots in the tile (compare the top of the paper holder to the bottom and you'll see what I mean).
Next, go in there and remove all the points where pixels tried to double during the resize. We don't need everything to be thicker, just larger overall. Don't worry about things looking perfect right now, we'll go in and clean in all up later.
I'll focus on the loose paper and pen first. The pen is simple enough, it just need to be straightened and thinned down a bit so that it doesn't look like an over-sized kid's marker. The paper is so simple that it barely needs any attention, I just removed on row of pixels so that it wasn't quite so tall.
That just leaves the paper holder to finish. I don't want it to be giant, since it's just meant to hold a few sheets of paper, so I shrink the width of it to be closer to the paper's size. The shading is already almost perfect, so just a bit of touching up is needed.
Last thing I do is look it all over and decide if anything needs tweaked. The paper in the paper holder is too small, I decided, so I made it a pixel taller to look more like the loose paper's size.
And that's it! Now we have a tile that doesn't seem too small for MV's default tile size. Of course more complicated tiles, such as plants, will take more work to get looking right, but these basics should get me through all the tiles.
I've only finished upgrading a few tiles, but you can already get an idea of how it will all look at the end.
With a style settled on and side mechanics roughed out, the next thing I should focus on is getting the main gameplay mechanic, the 'sending heroes to worlds' mechanic, fleshed out from the one-map challenge game's version.
hiddenone tries to make a game
Posts about game making. Possibly updates on my current project, tutorials on how to event some things, or just random ideas.